El Paso’s Trustworthy Immigration Lawyer

Work permit

When you’re attempting to obtain a work permit and you’re not a citizen of the United States, the process can be time-consuming and strenuous, but working with a trustworthy immigration lawyer can take some of the load off your shoulders. Cynthia R. Lopez, Attorney at Law, is a dedicated immigration lawyer in the El Paso community who can help you obtain a work permit.

The Work Permit Process

Before you can legally work in the United States as an immigrant, you must obtain an Employment Authorization Document card. To apply for a work permit, you must complete and submit a series of forms either electronically or by mail. You will also have to pay fees in order to apply for one. The documents and fees will then be processed and the processor will determine if you will be granted the work permit or not.

Who Should Apply for an EAD Card?

There are many people who are eligible and required to apply for a work permit. These include:

  • Students who need to support themselves or are looking for optional practical training (OPT)
  • Fiancees of visa holders
  • People who are seeking or have been granted asylum or temporary protected status
  • People who are seeking permanent residence status
  • Spouses or minors of exchange visitors
  • Others may be granted a work permit on a case by case basis

What Happens After You Apply for a Work Permit?

The determinants for approval of a work permit depend on a number of things, including status (asylee, temporary protected status, etc.). If you’ve been approved, you will get your EAD card in roughly 90 days. If you’re an asylee, however, you will get it in 30 days. If you have been denied, you can’t appeal the denial, but you can ask the agency who denied it to reconsider. Once you have the card, you will be eligible to work. It’s important to pay attention to the expiration date. You’ll want to apply for renewal 120 days before the card expires.

How Can a Lawyer Help Me?

Filing for a work permit is a tricky process, and if you are denied, asking for reconsideration can be even trickier. An immigration lawyer can help you through the process so you can receive a good outcome. If you are denied, they can also help you apply for reconsideration. This way, you ensure you are filling everything out correctly and you aim for the best results possible. Attorney Cynthia R. Lopez can help you if you need to apply for a work permit. Contact our office today for more information!