Applying for Spousal Visas in El Paso, TX

visa application form

If you are a U.S. citizen but your spouse is not, a spousal visa is needed to begin the citizenship process. You should apply for a spousal visa so that they may reside with you in the U.S. However, given that the process of obtaining a spousal visa is lengthy and can often be rejected, it is important to seek legal help from an experienced immigration attorney.

What is the Process Like?

Depending on your status and your specific situation, there are several steps you and your spouse will have to take. Some of these may include:

If you are a U.S. citizen: You will need to gather the necessary documentation to prove your status. This can be a passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, or your copy of your consular report of birth abroad. You will also need to fill out the necessary documentation: an I-130 form and two G-325A forms.
If you are a green card holder: You will have to show a copy of your green card or your passport for the stamp of permanent resident and fill out form I-130 as well as two copies of the G-325A form.

Regardless of your current status, you will need a copy of your marriage certificate, photos of you and your spouse, and copies of divorce decrees, annulments, death certificates, as well as proof of name changes, if applicable. A spousal green card can take anywhere from 10 to 13 months.

Usually, you will need to establish a relationship with Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative and apply for a green card. This is Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

Once this information is gathered, completed, and submitted, all you have to do is wait for the results. If you and your spouse have been together for less than two years, they might be granted resident status on a conditional basis and you must apply to get the conditional status removed later on.

Work With an Experienced Attorney

If in need of an adjustment of status for your spouse, the spousal visa is one way to go about doing this. As with every immigration process, there is substantial paperwork and forms involved. Part of ensuring a positive result includes having an experienced attorney to guide you through the process and verify that the process is being completed correctly.