Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status

What is Adjustment of Status?

Any person currently residing in the United States who wants to become a lawful resident needs to apply for an adjustment of status (AOS). Specifically, this process changes your status to immigrant or permanent resident. Additionally, it allows you to apply for a change of status without having to return to your native country.  However, not everyone is eligible for an AOS.  In accordance with the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), an adjustment is allowed if the person is inspected, admitted, or paroled into the United States by meeting all of the requirements for a green card and permanent residency.

Adjustment of Status Eligibility and Process

Initially, find a strong immigration lawyer to help you break down the process. This ensures that you understand what the application requires. To begin, you need to find out if you are eligible for an adjustment of status. A person is eligible to apply for adjustment of status if one or more of the following requirements are met:

  • Currently in the U.S. or a resident since before Jan. 1, 1972
  • Have a family member willing to sponsor you
  • Have an employer willing to sponsor you
  • Engaged to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • Are a refugee
  • Have a diversity visa
  • Are a Cuban citizen/national

Every applicant is inspected, admitted, or paroled into the U.S. by proper immigration officials according to INA requirements. Keep in mind, any person who has entered the country illegally is disqualified from applying for adjustment of status. This includes persons who marry a U.S. citizen or resident, as well as anyone who becomes an immediate family member through other means.  Finally, you are a permanent resident of the United States when your AOS application is officially approved.

We Can Help with Your Adjustment of Status

Find out if you are eligible for adjustment of status with the help of Cynthia R. Lopez and her dedicated staff. We help you review all necessary documents, as well as ensure you fill out all the required paperwork correctly. Our familiarity with immigration law procedure ensures that your application is correct. We also help you submit it to the right people. Cynthia R. Lopez helps people in the El Paso area who are looking to find out more about adjustment of status, as well as any other immigration issues. Contact our office today.